Table of Contents
Best bowling figure on test debut, Narendra Hirwani
If anything could be called a ‘dream debut’ in a Test match Indian leg-spinner Narendra Hirwani had one.
Making his bow against the West Indies, Hirwani bagged 8 for 61 in the first innings, with the likes of Viv Richards and Richie Richardson among his victims. He followed it up another brilliant spell of bowling in the second innings grabbing 8 for 75, making total tally to 16 Wickets for 136 runs.
- Narendra Hirwani is a former Indian cricketer who is best remembered for his record-breaking bowling figures on Test debut. On January 11, 1988, Hirwani made his Test debut against the West Indies in Chennai. He took 8 wickets in the first innings and 8 more in the second, finishing with a match haul of 16 wickets. This is still the best bowling figures by a bowler on Test debut, and it is a record that is unlikely to be broken anytime soon.
- Hirwani was a right-arm leg spinner who was born in Gorakhpur, India, in 1968. He made his first-class debut in 1985 and quickly established himself as one of the most promising bowlers in the country. He was selected for the Indian Test team in 1988 and made an immediate impact.
- In his first Test match, Hirwani took 8 wickets in the first innings and 8 more in the second. He bowled with great control and guile, and he was able to extract turn and bounce from the Chennai pitch. The West Indies batsmen were completely bamboozled by his bowling, and they were bowled out for just 136 and 110 in the two innings.
- Hirwani’s record-breaking bowling figures helped India to level the series 1-1. He went on to play 21 more Tests for India, taking 165 wickets. He also played 10 ODIs, taking 16 wickets.
- Hirwani retired from international cricket in 1996. He continued to play first-class cricket until 2006, and he finished his career with 723 wickets. He is now a cricket commentator and analyst.
- Hirwani’s record-breaking bowling figures on Test debut is a testament to his talent and skill. He is one of the greatest bowlers in Indian cricket history, and his feat is unlikely to be broken anytime soon.
During his debut match, Hirwani made a significant impact by capturing three out of five West Indian wickets on the second day. On the third day, he clean bowled the legendary batsman Vivian Richards with a googly which he couldn’t identify and took the remaining four batsmen’s wickets to finish with 8 for 61. This outstanding performance made him the fourth bowler in the history of cricket to take eight wickets in an innings on his debut match. Narendra Hirwani holds the world record of best bowling figure on test debut, 16 Wickets for 136 runs.
Set 416 to win in the second innings West Indies were dismissed in about 40 overs. India’s victory against West Indies, with a margin of 255 runs, was their most dominant win in the six matches they had against them. The main contributor to this win was Hirwani, a 19-year-old leg spinner, who was making his debut. He had the advantage of an under-prepared pitch that provided turn right from the start of the match. Despite his young age and bespectacled appearance, Hirwani’s performance made a lasting impact on the game.
Narendra Hirwani, the leggie magician from India
On the international stage of cricket, a debut is a player’s first appearance in a test match. A bowler’s performance on debut can be a defining moment in their career, and some players have made an immediate impact with their bowling figures. Here are some of the best bowling figure on test debut:
|Narendra Hirwani||33.5||6||136||16||4.01||India||v West Indies||Chennai||11-Jan-88|
|RAL Massie||60.1||16||137||16||2.27||Australia||v England||Lord’s||22-Jun-72|
|F Martin||57.2×5||21||102||12||2.13||England||v Australia||The Oval||11 Aug 1890|
|NGRP Jayasuriya||52||5||177||12||3.4||Sri Lanka||v Australia||Galle||08-Jul-22|
|JJ Krejza||74.5||4||358||12||4.78||Australia||v India||Nagpur||06-Nov-08|
|CV Grimmett||31.3×8||5||82||11||1.96||Australia||v England||Sydney||27-Feb-25|
|CS Marriott||41.1||8||96||11||2.33||England||v West Indies||The Oval||12-Aug-33|
|AE Hall||62.3||20||112||11||1.79||South Africa||v England||Cape Town||01-Jan-23|
|Mohammad Zahid||41||8||130||11||3.17||Pakistan||v New Zealand||Rawalpindi||28-Nov-96|
|AV Bedser||61.2||14||145||11||2.36||England||v India||Lord’s||22-Jun-46|
These are some of the best bowling figures on test debut in the history of cricket. The performances of these players not only made a lasting impression on their respective teams but also in the cricketing world.
Narendra Deepchand Hirwani is a leg spin bowler who played for India. He is mainly remembered for his success on his Test debut. Hirwani’s debut was in the final Test of the series at Madras. The wicket was underprepared. India won an important toss and made 382.
In the initial stage of his career, Hirwani had an outstanding performance by taking 36 wickets in just his first four Test matches, which is the most by any bowler at the start of their career.
Hirwani’s debut performance was a defining moment in Indian cricket. In the final Test of the series at Madras against West Indies, he took eight wickets for 61 runs, which is still one of the best bowling figures on debut in test cricket history. He clean bowled the legendary batsman Vivian Richards with a googly which he couldn’t identify and took the remaining four batsmen’s wickets to finish with 8 for 61.
Who holds the record for most wickets taken by a bowler on debut?
Narendra Hirwani holds the record for most wickets taken by a bowler on debut with 16 wickets.
In which match did Hirwani achieved the best bowling figures on debut?
Hirwani achieved the best bowling figures on debut in the final Test of the series at Madras against West Indies.
Did Hirwani’s debut performance lead to a win for India?
Yes, Hirwani’s debut performance was instrumental in India’s victory against West Indies with a winning margin of 255 runs, which was their most dominant win in the six matches they had against them.
When did Narendra Hirwani make his Test debut?
Narendra Hirwani made his Test debut on January 11, 1988, against the West Indies in Chennai.
What were Narendra Hirwani‘s bowling figures in his first Test match?
Hirwani took 8 wickets in the first innings and 8 more in the second, finishing with a match haul of 16 wickets.
Who is the second bowler on the list of best bowling figures on Test debut?
The second bowler on the list is Australian RAL Massie, who also took 16 wickets in his first Test match against England in 1972.
How many Tests did Hirwani play for India?
Hirwani played 21 Tests for India, taking 165 wickets. He also played 10 ODIs, taking 16 wickets.
What is the record of Narendra Hirwani?
Narendra Hirwani set a remarkable record by claiming 16 wickets on his debut, establishing the highest wicket-taking performance for a bowler in their first match.
Back to Home
#Slogover #DidYouKnowCard #Cricket #CricketStories #CricketRecords #SlogoverRecords
Refer to Best Cricket Records Website ESPNCrickInfo for more such interesting information.